6.13.2011

Musings for a Monday

Good weekends make for rough Monday's
We really mastered the art of staying busy, yet equally lounging around this weekend.
To the point that by the time we finally sat down to rest on Saturday, we couldn't even remember everything we did before hand.
That's how into our lounging we were.
And it was heaven. 

I felt like I went shopping in my own closet this weekend.
It's amazing how a little organization can make one feel like she (she being me) has a whole new wardrobe.
I could probably go the entire year without wearing the same thing. 
But I won't, because I forgot the things I had for a reason.

At what point is it ok to throw out old clothes?
If I said I found stuff I've had since the beginning of high school, does that mean it's time to go?
I think so.

But then I think of all the things I could turn my old clothes into.
So, I hold on a little longer filling my ever so tiny closet a little fuller.
Thank goodness I married a man whose entire wardorbe consists of a few t-shirts, some shorts/pants, and scrubs.

Note to self: The next house I live in will be built in this decade, not one from the 20's or 30's . They didn't understand the need for closet space back then.

However, I will note, that two years in a row, living in two different houses, both with NO closet space, hasn't slowed down the expanding wardrobe.
Clearly no closet space doesn't deter me. 

I try to apply the saying, "make do, or do without" to most things in life (kind of), but no matter how hard I try to apply that to the clothing department, it just doesn't work. Unless going without clothes is an option, which I'm afraid it isn't. Too bad though, perhaps I'd enjoy this 100 degree humid heat a little more.

4 comments:

Jana said...

i just did the very same thing this weekend. and this morning i took a giant load to two consignment stores - one for me, one for lily. AND i made a little money off our old clothes. score! the rest of the clothes i took to goodwill. also i've busted out my sewing machine and turned a few shirts that i couldn't part with into something i'll wear again. double score! good luck :)

Lauren Kay said...

You can still have clothes from high school if they are still stylish. I have two items that I've had since high school and I get compliments on them every time I wear them. Maybe that's the trick, always buy classic pieces that will last years and years.

Lindsay said...

I would love to go through your closet and "shop" You have the cutest clothes. I have a hard time getting rid of clothes. For some reason I always think that I will need them so I hold on!

Jennifer Lovell said...

I've heard more than once that if you haven't worn something in over 1 year, you probably won't wear it again, and/or it's not worth the space it's taking up. Get rid of it. I try to live by that. If I find something I haven't worn in a year, I try to force myself to wear it again--and if I just can't get myself to do it, it has to go. I have a few special things I can't part with for sentimental reasons, but I try to limit those to just a handful. Lately I've been cutting out square pieces of my old sentimental clothes with logos from high school and stuff, in case I want to have a quilt made someday (I can't really see that ever getting done, but at least I'm only saving 1/10th of the shirt now, instead of the whole thing).

And I'm with you on the "who's idea was it to build houses without closets?" deal. Craziness.