2.10.2014

Winter Blues

I never remember lamenting a winter as much as I have this one. I don't know if it's because everyone out here said it's not that bad, maybe a few really cold days here and there, but nothing too intense, or if it's because I have a child now and being stuck in doors just plan sucks. Either way, this winter is quickly eating me up. 

We've had too many below freezing days to count. Too much snow for my liking. And way too much time spent in doors...both fighting colds and the frigid cold. 

I may have grown up in Utah, gone to school in Idaho for a few years, and dealt with cold winters for the last 28 years. So, I know how winters go. It's cold, but life moves on. But I'll tell you what, a midwest winter is not to be messed with. The humid temperatures make this cold, bone biting. It goes right through you, and bites you at the core. It's miserable to say the least. I much prefer the winter infested snow land of Utah than I do to this kind of cold. And that's saying something. At least in Oklahoma we had random days in the 60 to break up the winter and remind you spring IS coming. But not here.

After spending over a week trapped in doors due to a sick child and my sick self this past week, I vowed today would be the day we'd get back to real life. And then this morning rolled around, and I woke up to a child who slept lousy last night, a nose that won't stop running, and a temper to match. So, we stayed in this morning. And all I can think about is running away to a beach. Where it's warm. And the sun melts my body all day long. 

But I know winter will be here for awhile longer, so, I will do my best to "enjoy" a season I could bypass all together and my life would still feel complete. 

And just so I'm not a total sore sport when it comes to winter, we DID venture out in it one day, when I was convinced a little fresh air would do us good. It did. For about 20 minutes. And then I had to deal with a lovely tantrum from a little boy who could spend his life outside, no matter what the air feels like, and be perfectly content. I on the other hand am a wimp, and both our runny noses and red cheeks told me it was time to come inside. 

How could I deprive such a happy face? Well, I'm a mean mom. In the winter. 

5 comments:

AJ Candrian said...

The winter can drive a perfectly good, happy person mad. So don't feel bad.

Sonnie's Stories said...

Stir crazy-ness is so hard! I'm sorry. Humid winters are hard too. Theme weeks, indoor forts, and trips to a museum always make my kids happier. I hope that Spring comes quickly!

Xoxo Grandma said...

Let John take our darling boy outside for a little activity each evening. It'll do you both a little good.

Lovell Family said...

what a cutie!

Cynthia Lovell said...

I know, Winter is Hard! It takes so much Time to get ready to go outside and then it doesn't take that long to FREEZE, & then you have the mess when you come back inside, BUTT that picture of Preston and his SMILE is WORTH ALL of IT!!!