3.28.2012

Viva Mexico

I may have fooled you all by making you believe this blog is all about me. Me, me, and me. And well, that's semi-true, at least lately anyway, but my husband's pretty cool, too. So, let's talk about him for a moment, shall we? After all, this blog is supposed to be about us anyway.

 

While I was off learning the ropes of motherhood, he was off getting experience to become a better dentist, and putting his three years of dental school to work, in Mexico, on the underserved and underprivileged. Why? Because he's awesome like that. 

Doing a mission trip was something he's wanted to do since dental school began, three years ago. But somehow, with dating long distance, getting married, basking in the newlywed life, and going on lots of vacations, a mission trip was kind of put on the back burner. Until this year rolled around that is. 

He came home from school one day, told me he wanted to go to Mexico for a week, and I'm pretty sure the first words out of my mouth were, "Go! When do you leave?" And that's kind of how it happened. 

So, off to Mexico he went for spring break with a small group of eight people, and they did nothing but pull teeth, clean teeth, and if I recall correctly, he made a little girl cry, unintentionally of course. But you all know how dental work can be, it's pretty brutal sometimes.

Each day they were there they set up shop at a different location, inside of churches, and went to work providing free care to anyone who came through the doors. And of course, he loved every minute of it. Not to mention, they had true authentic Mexican food every.single.night. I was jealous!  

I don't think I brag about my husband enough, but he's pretty amazing, not to mention, pretty good looking (my fingers are crossed our little boy comes out looking like him). I love seeing his excitement when he learns new things, I love how hardworking he is and that he's humble enough to ask for help when he needs it. I love that he's always trying to do better and to learn all that he can to become a great dentist. When things don't seem to go his way, he never beats himself up over it. He usually just says, "Today was a good learning experience." And that's just how he views the little hiccups in life, as good learning experiences that will help him to become his best self.

I have a lot to learn from him, thank goodness he's stuck with me for eternity, I'm a slow learner. 

7 comments:

Xoxo Grandma said...

Awww...I love John too. He is a good guy.

AJ Candrian said...

Ah! That was a sweet post. Go John!

Brittany said...

That just made me like John all the more. I like his "learning experiences" montra. I'll have to try and remember that in the days and weeks ahead.

Lovell Family said...

what a nice post. Byron and Cynthia sure do grow good ones!!

carla thorup said...

So awesome! Viva Mexico!

Lindsay said...

Love the pictures! What an awesome brother I have (And sis-in-law)

Cynthia Lovell said...

LOVE the post!!! Makes me really proud of our son!!!
(and our daughter-in-law for being so supportive!)